Allergy School on Nutrition
We invite you to join us for the inaugural EAACI Allergy School focused on the role of nutrition in the prevention and treatment of allergies and asthma, on the 9th to 11th of September 2022 in Cork, Ireland.
It has been appreciated for some time that nutritional factors play a role in immune system effectiveness and tailored dietary interventions are routinely prescribed for patients in critical care settings and in those with nutritional deficiencies. However, this approach is yet to be sufficiently embraced in other areas to bolster immune health and to treat specific immune-mediated diseases. While there has been a recent explosion of interest in understanding how dietary habits impact chronic immune-mediated disorders and responses to infections, the accruing evident still needs to be integrated into evidence-based practice recommendations and guidelines. This “complicated tango” between nutrients, microbiome, epithelial barriers, metabolism, and the immune system is key to our understanding of the origins of atopic disorders, while appropriately targeted dietary modifications will be crucial for future disease prevention and for disease treatment.
- To describe the role of nutrition in asthma/allergy prevention
- To describe the role of nutrition in asthma/allergy management
- To review the different aspects of nutrition that may influence the immune system and microbiome
- To be aware of novel immunomodulatory concepts
Expected learning outcomes
After this meeting, attendees will be aware of all the cutting-edge information on nutrition and its role in allergy prevention and management. We aim to provide attendees with the practical skills and knowledge to provide guidance to their patients.
- Identify the important role of nutrition in the prevention of allergies and asthma
- Identify the important role of nutrition in the management of allergies and asthma
- Understand the known the interplay between nutrition and the immune system
- Understand the interplay between nutrition and the microbiome
- Diagnose and managed patients from a medical and nutritional perspective
This Allergy School is intended for healthcare professionals interested in the prevention and management of allergies and asthma. Researchers and scientists interested in immunonutrition are also welcome. Junior Members’ participation is especially encouraged.
Liam O’Mahony, Ireland, AS Cork 2022 Chair
Carina Venter, USA, AS Cork 2022 Co-Chair
Nonhlanhla Lunjani, Ireland, AS Cork 2022 Co-Chair
We look forward to welcoming you in Cork, Ireland!
Putting nutrition at the forefront of prevention and treatment of allergies and asthma